Monday, June 30, 2008

I Have Seen the Future and It is Adorable

God bless this tiny little robot!


I just got back from seeing WALL-E and it is absolutely amazing. It's everything you could possibly want in a movie. It's a dark satire. It's a eye-popping sci-fi extravaganza. It's a silent comedy. Hell, it's even the best date movie of the year and I'm saying that partly because it's a terrific love story and partly because you should instantly ditch any girl who doesn't like it (I already told the girlfriend she lost major points by refusing to see the opening midnight show with me. Fortunately she gained them back by being so gung ho to see The Dark Knight that she's already looking up IMAX ticket prices.)

I knew it was gonna be great. I mean, Pixar has yet to disappoint me (granted, I never saw Cars due to the Larry the Cable Guy involvement). Really, when one of their movies comes out, it's not a question of whether it will be good but rather how high it will fall on their veritable hall of fame. Now that I've seen it, I have to say, WALL-E makes its way pretty high up there.
Of course, the number one spot still belongs to Monsters Inc.

I really love Monsters Inc. I always will. I've got a book n the art behind it. I've got a talking Sully action figure I picked up at a garage sale (that really doesn't sound like John Goodman, by the way). It is so damn good that I feel no shame admitting (in a public online forum, no less) that it marks the closest I've ever come to crying in a movie theater. I mean, if this ending scene doesn't make you tear up, you are heartless:
(Spoiler Warning, obviously)





Seriously, it bums me out people don't talk about this movie more. However, when you make so many good movies like Pixar has, some are bound to get lost in the shuffle.



Down to Earth - Peter Gabriel


ps. You have to check out this great site Pixar created for the movie. It's a fake homepage for the ubiquitous corporation that runs humanity in WALL-E and it's absolutely hilarious. There's good stuff everywhere, all the way down to the Privacy Policy at the bottom.

It all (as well as a few images in the film) kind of reminds me of Mike Judge's great movie Idiocracy. However good that movie was though, Luke Wilson will never be as fun to watch as that tiny robot. And I don't even mean that as an insult!

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't wait to see that movie!! and Cars wasn't really that bad, actually, it made me laugh a lot, so you might like it, never know!

notjon said...

See it right away! It has a few tiny flaws (I would have preferred if the humans and their stories had been more hinted at in the background so that the robots were center the entire time) but it really is a magical movie.
I'll see Cars...eventually.

Sam said...

Cars was alright; not one of my favorites, but I enjoyed it.
Sorry I didn't see Wall-E; if I'd known how much you really did want to see it I'd have gone at midnight! When you suggested it it sounded like some random spur of the moment idea you didn't actually care about. :(

Anonymous said...

Wall-E IS adorable. And Monsters Inc. is in my second spot, but if I saw it again anytime soon I might reconsider. Cars is good and despite the voice talent grips I had with it it's really worth seeing or renting. I caught it on HBO.

holls