Thursday, January 31, 2008

When the Right is Wrong: Sinful Schadenfreude

I know this may come as a huge shock to a lot of you out there, but I am a liberal.

I know, I know! Crazy! An east coast, half Jewish college student studying Theater and English who votes Democrat. I must be one in a million, right?

Anyway, as a liberal, there's plenty of things that the Religious Right does that irks me. Ok, maybe "irk" is too passive a word, but you know what I mean. However, there's one thing that I can always count on the Bible-thumpers to do to make up for their slow destruction of our country, and that is fall from grace.

You all remember that summer (was it the last one? Two ago? I'm too lazy to look it up) where it seemed like every single homo-bashing Reverend-cum-politician was caught with a gigolo in his car and a teenaged male intern under his desk. It was absolutely hilarious. However, not being gay, it was never really my victory. I was just cheering from the sidelines.

As a Theater student who wants to one day work in some area of the arts (probably craft services) there are some conservative jackasses who I feel a personal hatred for. That would be the censors. And some of the most jackassiest of those recent jackasses have been the people behind the Clean Flicks phenomenon.

Clean Flicks is this series of businesses that specialize in editing popular films to be more palatable to conservative of family audiences.

Obvious copyright problems aside (most of these companies have rightfully been under fire from the studios for making money off of their films) what these people are doing is disgusting, misguided, and damn near insane. They claim the real reason for their practise is for parents of young children who want to make sure what they're renting for their kids is nice and neat. Unfortunately, these parents are too stupid and lazy that it's not just the images themselves that can affect kids, but the themes behind them.
If Action Star McGee shoots 50 people with an assault rifle but some guy edited out the shot with all the blood squirting, Action Star McGee still shot 50 people with an assault rifle. If the movies weren't made for children, children shouldn't watch them no matter what's been artlessly hacked out.
And even if this plan worked, it would still be wrong. If I was a writer, director, or actor who had spent months pouring out everything on a movie, I wouldn't want there to be bastardized versions of it floating around with my name on it.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Now that you have the background on Clean Flicks and why it sucks more ass than all the deleted nude buttocks from a thousand of their "movies" you can hopefully get a taste of the pleasure I got from reading this article.

And, so I can at least pretend that this blog is anywhere near evenhanded, here's an article about a liberal douchebag who likes sex in movies and is big rapist asshole.

0 Comments: