Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Two Shows and Two Wildly Different Reviews In...

Well, as that picture proves, I have starred in an Off-Broadway play that went all the way through. That's right, we have now completed our first weekend of America 20XX and it was some of the most fun I ever had.

Right after I wrote the last post here I took a shower to get ready for opening night and I realized something: I was genuinely terrified about this. I think it all has to do with the fact that this was entirely different than everything I've ever done. We performed this in an actual theater in New York in the middle of Greenwich Village and that meant that the audience wasn't just gonna be our friends this time. No, we were going to be performing for impossible to please NY Hipsters and Bitchy Theater Queers.
And let me tell you, that shit it scary.

But we did it. We performed for paying customers. How crazy is that?

The Reviews
One thing that makes this show different from all the shows I've done in the past is the fact that there are actually people in the audience there to review us. So far we've had four critics come, two of them have posted their reviews and man, are these reviews wild. One is too good to be true and the other is quite possibly the worst review I've ever read for anything. To show you how different they are, I will post two quotes back to back.

"The beginning of the show made me laugh until I cried"
"America 20XX isn’t inspiring - just embarrassing."

Yep, that's some difference of opinion. Fortunately the good review came from a much more reputable site (Time Out) but unfortunately, the bad review is jut insanely bad. I have no problem linking to it here because the guy clearly just didn't get the show. And I'm not saying there really is anything to get. And I think that's the point. The guy just seems to hate us personally and especially the fact that we're college students (something he brings up multiple times for some reason which is especially weird considering only three out of seven of us are).

Anyway, you should read both reviews because the bad one is hilarious (I personally will be using the phrase "and the posing, prancing, and declaiming that pass for acting" all the time!) and because the good one will hopefully get you in the seats.

Remember, there are only three more shows left before America 20XX is over and I hate you forever!

If that doesn't get you to come, maybe this picture will:


PS. I haven't gotten around to posting my August playlist yet so I might just wait till next month. Sorry.
PPS. Support America 20XX cast members in their other endeavors! Dave's got a new video on Heavy.com. This one lists the Top 10 Gayest Action Movies. His bosses really give him some interesting assignments, don't they?

0 Comments: