Thursday, July 24, 2008

Waking Up Screaming

I just had this terrible dream and now I can't get back to sleep. The thing was incredibly vivid. It was like a fucking Stephen King short story.
Here's what I remember:

I was a little child in about middle school. Every day I would get held after for detention. However, the kids at detention all looked up to me. And Sam was there. And she and I and all the other kids would hang out every day and tell ghost stories about these kids who got stuck at this horrible run down train station.

But I wasn't happy. All the kids there were younger than me and my parents kept yelling at me to grow up and get a job. So one day I made sure I didn't have to go to detention. But when I found my parents, they said they still weren't happy with me. I had taken too long and now they had to do the job I was supposed to do forever and it was humiliating.

So I went back to the school and peeked in on the kids. However, when I looked in, I saw Sam there with another boy. They were walking around smiling and holding hands. They and all the other children started walking towards the door I was at but I ran away before they could see me.

I wandered through the town until I found a big fountain. I went to sit by it. I reached my hand in when suddenly a fish jumped out at me. At the same time, a religious man was walking by. He told me he was very sorry but the fish was a bad omen and something very bad was going to happen to me. However, he asked if I liked movies and, when I said yes, he told me he had an old fashioned video store and it would make up for it.

I went there and the video store was great and they had this amazing horror section with all these classic movies. He asked me if I liked scary movies and I said yes and we began to talk about all my favorites. Then I started to get a little creeped out. I was getting the feeling that this man was...testing me. As if he didn't really like these movies and was just seeing if I was "bad" enough or something. He then said he had a special movie if I was interested. It had a really creepy title and it gradually became clear that it was actually a snuff film. I said politely that I wasn't interested and ran out.

I tried to run back to the school but I went back a different way through the town so I wouldn't see the man again. I decided to call Sam and warn her about him even though I was still mad at her. She didn't answer though. Suddenly I realized I was lost. I was in a creepy old train station and there was grafitti on the walls of the names of all the children from our ghost stories.
Then I heard something. Something coming down the tracks.

Man, that was a fucked up dream.

I've been having weird dreams all week. Sam said she is too. Unfortunately, the past two nights they've been weird/terrifying. I preferred the ones at the beginning of the week when they were weird and involved me being propositioned by Amy Adams.


Yikes, for all you Freud fans out there, I think this post may say more about me than any other in my purposely impersonal blog. I probably shouldn't be telling everyone that I have nightmares about video stores and non-nightmares about Amy Adams...

3 Comments:

Sam said...

Aw, I'm sorry! Did you literally wake up screaming? That's the worst, I used to do that a lot when I was younger.
I wish I'd gotten your text when you sent it, I'd have called or something. :(
I had a weird dream too. Not as scary as yours, though. Maybe I'll write about it.

<3

notjon said...

Haha no actual screaming. Don't worry.

notjon said...

A few days later and I see on the news that Amy Adams got engaged the other day. Now even that dream was a bad one: a sad glimpse into a world that will never be...

In other news, if I had money, I'd totally buy Enchanted on DVD. That movie's 90 minutes of pure magic!